Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Last dispatch from Portland

Wednesday, 10th January, 2007
7:50 PM Pacific Time
Portland, Oregon

At some point in the last hour, it has occurred to me that I AM GOING TO NEW ZEALAND TOMORROW. I don't know if it is the fact that my wallet now has a passport and New Zealand currency in it, or that the heap of clothing and camping gear that has been on my living room floor for two days has finally migrated into my pack, or the zaniness of running around all day for the last two days doing all those last-minute errands, but at any rate, I think it has finally sunk in.

Provo and I spent most of today together preparing for the trip (and folding newsletters at her work), and plan to meet up tomorrow on the platform at the Hollywood Max station to take the train to the airport. It's Portland to San Fran, then San Francisco straight through to Auckland, losing a day in the process. It's been 2 years since I've flown across an ocean, and this time it's a different one, flying in almost the exact opposite direction. I can't believe I'm finally hitting the international road again.

I had a re-revelation today regarding traveling: no matter how much you research where you're going, how much you read up, or how many people you talk to about it, you will never be prepared for the truth of a new land and a new people. You will never be truly prepared for what you are about to face, and you will never really know what to expect. And, as I have discovered, no matter where you go a foreign country and its occupants will exceed your expectations in nearly every way.

So here's to the first adventure of the new year, a safe journey, and lots of jolly good fun.

See you on the flip side.

2 comments:

Laurel said...

Lizzy! I am super excited for you. Sadly my timing is not very good. I will be in Portland on Friday night through Sunday afternoon. I wish you were going to be there to spend time with, but I think you'll be having much more fun in New Zealand. !!!

Amy said...

You have left already, but I hope this comment finds you in good health, good times, and not too much jet lag. Cheers to traveling!